Skip to main content

Academic Forms

Academic Forms Undergraduate Students

Academic Forms Graduate Student


Master Thesis Committee Membership - Check who is eligible to be on your MA committee

Latin American Studies Research Guide

Template/Outline for Organizing Prospectus PDF WORD

How to petition courses

Prepare Documents

To petition courses to count toward your major or minor, you will need the following:

  1. UCSD Undergraduate Petition Form (PDF)
  2. Course Syllabus (PDF)
  3. Any additional supporting material

Submit your documents as ONE PDF file, that combines the form and supplementary material.

Review Petition Form

Before you submit your petition, review your form carefully.

  1. Be sure to check the appropriate box.
    • Departmental Exception - Majors/Minors Only
    • College Exception - GE Requests
    • University Exception - DEI Requests
  2. Make sure that "If UC San Diego course" section is filled out completely. (Section ID is not required for non-UCSD courses)
  3. Write your petition request in detail under "Reason for Request." If your information is missing, it will not be processed. It is your responsibility to clarify your minor/GE/DEI requirement and how you would like to use your course for it.


"I would like to use this course to fulfill my major/minor's upper division requirement."

"I would like to use this course to count toward my lower division requirement for my major/minor."

Submit Petition Electronically

  1. Save your petition and supplementary material as ONE PDF file and name it as follows:  First Initial Last Name_PETN_DateofSubmission
    • Example: JDoe_PETN_10272020
  2. Submit your PDF to your Program Coordinator's email ( with the subject line, "Course Petition: Last Name, First Name (PID)"


  • Visit to see if you need to petition the courses you took at your community college

How to Request Enrollment in Special Studies Classes (Undergraduates)

1. Learn if you're eligible for Special Studies classes.

  • If you have completed between 30 and 90 units:
    • You must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
  • If you have completed more than 90 units:
    • You must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

Read the Academic Senate policy on Special Studies classes.

2. Plan your class.

    1. Meet with the advisor in the department with which you want to do a Special Studies project. Discuss:
      • Which faculty instructor is doing research in your field
      • How you can make an appointment to meet that instructor
    2. Meet with your potential instructor to design a project that fits your academic plan. Discuss:
      • The nature of the project
      • How often you will meet
      • Your knowledge of the subject
      • How you will be evaluated

3. Complete the application.

    1. If you have between 30 and 90 units:
    2. If you have more than 90 units:
    3. Meet with your instructor first and then fill out the appropriate sections of the application.
    4. Include your project plan and prerequisite knowledge.
    5. Check with the sponsoring department for applicable application deadlines.

4. Confirm that you have been enrolled in the class.

  • You will receive a notification through EASy when you have been enrolled.
  • Check your schedule on WebReg to confirm your enrollment.

How to Declare a Major or a Minor (Undergraduates)